This simple Quinoa soup is tasty, healthy and satisfying.
PERUVIAN QUINOA SOUP
Servings: 4 people
- 30 ml Cold Pressed Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 large Onion Diced
- 2 Medium Carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 0.5 inch Ginger peeled and minced
- 2 stalks Celery chopped
- 125 grams Quinoa Uncooked, rinsed thoroughly
- 1000 ml Vegetable Stock
- 5 grams Dried Oregano
- 1.25 grams Smoked Paprika
- 2 medium Red Potatoes cut into half inch chunks
- 250 grams Cabbage Coarsely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 65 ml Fresh Cilantro (Coriander) roughly-chopped
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrots and celery.
- Saute on medium heat until the onions begin to brown ( 7 - 10 minutes)
- Add the Quinoa and toast - stirring often, until the seeds brown slightly ( 5 minutes)
- Add the stock, oregano, paprika,potatoes and cabbage. Bring to the boil - then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer the soup for 20 - 25 minutes - until the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning - then stir in the chopped Cilantro and serve.
Before you cook Quinoa, you should always soak it in boiling water for 5 + minutes - then rinse well under cold running water. This helps to remove the bitter taste.