This simple Quinoa soup is tasty, healthy and satisfying.
PERUVIAN QUINOA SOUP
- 30 ml Cold Pressed Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
- 1 large Onion (Diced)
- 2 Medium Carrots (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 0.5 inch Ginger (peeled and minced)
- 2 stalks Celery (chopped)
- 125 grams Quinoa (Uncooked, rinsed thoroughly)
- 1000 ml Vegetable Stock
- 5 grams Dried Oregano
- 1.25 grams Smoked Paprika
- 2 medium Red Potatoes (cut into half inch chunks)
- 250 grams Cabbage (Coarsely chopped)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 65 ml Fresh Cilantro (Coriander) (roughly-chopped)
- In a large pot, heat the oil.
Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrots and celery.
- Saute on medium heat until the onions begin to brown ( 7 – 10 minutes)
- Add the Quinoa and toast – stirring often, until the seeds brown slightly ( 5 minutes)
- Add the stock, oregano, paprika,potatoes and cabbage.
Bring to the boil – then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer the soup for 20 – 25 minutes – until the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning – then stir in the chopped Cilantro and serve.
Before you cook Quinoa, you should always soak it in boiling water for 5 + minutes – then rinse well under cold running water. This helps to remove the bitter taste.